FIRST RISING MT. ZION BAPTIST CHURCH "For we walk by faith, not by sight".   (2 Corinthians 5:7)
  HOME   ABOUT US   LEADERSHIP   MINISTRIES   CALENDAR   CONTACT US  
 
About Us
 
December 13, 1936
 

First Rising Mt. Zion Baptist Church was organized December 13, 1936 in the Moses Hall at Ninth and Barry Place, NW with ten members:

Deacon William A.D. Cook Mrs. Eva Foster Brooks
Mrs. Lillie Tucker Mrs. Bessie Galloway
Mrs. Eva Cook* Mrs. Daisy Ball
Deacon John Ball Deacon William Foster
Mrs. Julia White Jefferies Rev. E. Lucas

*Mrs. Cook is the only surviving founder.

May 26, 1937
  Rev. George E. Galloway, of Orange, Virginia took official charge of the church.
June 15, 1937
  The first Pastor's Aide Club was organized June 15, 1937 with Mrs. Jones, President
October 12, 1937
  The Banking Committee was organized October 12, 1937 with Mrs. Eva Foster, President
1939
  The Church moved from Ninth and Barry Place, NW to 11th and Q Streets, NW.
1944
  The Church moved to 1215 8th Street, NW.
July 25, 1948
  Church purchased property at 1213 8th Street, NW.
January 1, 1951
  Rev. George E. Galloway was called home to the Lord.
January 14, 1952
  The Church selected Rev. Ernest R. Gibson, Sr., then Assistant Pastor of First Baptist Church, as the new Pastor.
February 3, 1952
  Rev. Ernest R. Gibson officially took charge.
December 22, 1954
  The Church purchased the old red brick, high steeple church building on the corner of 6th and N Streets, NW.
April 1, 1956
  Rev. Ernest R. Gibson became a full-time Pastor
April 24, 1969
  The Church accepted a resolution for the origanization of the First Rising Mt. Zion Baptist Church Non-Profit Housing Corporation, Inc.
April 15, 1970
  The Church accepted a resolution for a two-phase Building Program.
1973
  Gibson Plaza, a ten-story, 217 unit apartment building was dedicated.
December 7, 1980
  The Founder's Education Building, the first phase of the Building Program, was completed.
September 1981
  The Child Development Center opened.
July 5, 1987
  The Church held its last worship service in the red brick building.
February 5, 1989
  The Church, which was the second phase of the building program, was completed.
March 1989
  Mrs. Bessie Galloway, wife of our first pastor, Rev. George Galloway, was called home to the Lord. She was funeralized on March 8, 1989.
November 1, 1998
  Rev. Ernest R. Gibson was called home to the Lord. Under the leadership of Rev. Ernest R. Gibson, the following community services were established: drug counseling, food distribution, glass recycling for scholarship, clothing distribution, drug treatment programs, summer employment program for the youth, and Child Development Center.
December 29, 1999
  Mrs. Etta C. Gibson, the wife of Reverend Gibson, was called home to the Lord.
January 5, 2001
  The web committee finished the first version of the firstrising.org Web Site.